Author Topic: Hatches  (Read 256 times)

Offline dahabcon

Hatches
« on: 23 June, 2019, 21:17:45 »
Hi!
Our hatch in the salon is leaking. We changed the seal, with moose (moosgummi"), but
Still leaking. Does anyone know where to get the right seal? It is a contest 34
 Build 1977.
Thank you so much
Claus

Offline TaMi

Re: Hatches
« Reply #1 on: 22 August, 2019, 11:43:59 »
Hi,
we also have a Contest 34 (build 1977) and are facing the same issue. Apparently all three hatches leak a bit. For us it appears as if the seal between wood and frame or between the wood and the deck is rotten.
We plan to replace the old seal with Sikaflex 291i.

In addition we also intend to replace the moose.
I have added two pictures. Please let me know what you think.

Met vriendelijke groet
Michael

Offline paperino

• "Paperino"
« Reply #2 on: 29 August, 2019, 19:16:55 »
You better remove and clean first. After you did that make a new seal of Sikaflex and screw your hatch back upon your boat. Be carefull: do not srew it totally fast, but only untill te Sikaflex comes out everywere. Than wait for 24 hours and really tighten your srews diagonally in small steps. If you will tighten your hatch in one time and with not hasdened Sikaflex you'll press the Sikaflex away and the seal will not really work well.

Regards,

Eric.

C35/37 "Paperino"

Offline TaMi

« Reply #3 on: 29 August, 2019, 21:55:00 »
Dear Eric,
thanks a lot for your useful advice.
Due to the good weather the last days, we started already. We have removed the metal frame and cleaned the deck and frame from old paint and silicon with a spatula and (Schleifpapier?). We got the hint to paint the aluminium frame first with some primer, what we did. Then we added the Sikaflex and tightend the screws. Unfortunately I read your advice to wait 24 too late. We replaced the moise as well and after a first test it looks ok. But we will keep an eye (and keep fingers crossed) if it leaks again. If so, we might have do the job again according your proposed procedure.
kind regards
Michael

BJSoft