Author Topic: Contest 38??????  (Read 1248 times)

wassmann

Contest 38??????
« on: 26 October, 2010, 17:56:01 »
Hi,
I have a question: can someone tell what the sailing characteristics of a contest 38 hull number 092?
We actually Wolter buy a new "smaller" boat, but have received a good offer and consider what is better. We are, my wife, my son and me.

I hope it can help someone. Oh, and as the first choice is / was a 325 Hanse for election. , O)

Greetings from Berlin
Torsten

Offline BJ

• Global Moderator
    • BJSoft
Re: Contest 38??????
« Reply #1 on: 27 October, 2010, 08:51:55 »
Hi Torsten. The Contest 38S is, like many other Contests, a solid, robust design with affined sailing characteristics. Great on the sea but for some perhaps a bit slow on inland waters. Hard to compare with the Hanse imho which is a far more modern design with a wide stern. Have you already sailed withe the Hanse? And what will be your regular area for sailing?

wassmann

« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2010, 19:37:54 »
Hi BJ,
thank you first for the answer, I was beginning to think the "wrong" questions to ask. No, the Hanse itself, we have not yet sailed, but the predecessor of friends. That should be the same. The Contest 38 would in our opinion but for us to be better ship, as we will be exclusively on the Baltic Sea and North Sea, etc. certainly sail later. What we definitely do not want to be sailing regatta, but a slow ship also do not want more. The golden mean is it should be. The Hanse League was/is not a final decision.

LG Torsten

Offline Rob Rook

• De Fabian
« Reply #3 on: 30 October, 2010, 18:17:55 »
Hello Torsten,

Since 2001 we (my wife and me) are sailing a Contest 38 ketch, hullnumber 47 1985. We went to Denmark, England and France. We spend lots off miles at sea and the great lakes of Holland. It is a great ship to sail a perfect partner in every type off weather. Aesy to handle even alone. She not as slow as some suggest. Our average speed is well above 6 kn.

Rob Rook
contest 38 ketch bouwnummer 47

BJSoft