Author Topic: Contest 34  (Read 1685 times)

Offline dahabcon

Contest 34
« on: 01 August, 2012, 01:53:06 »
Hi, we just bought a Contest 34, 1977.
Sadly the preowner is no longer available for questions concerning the boat, and his wife doesnt´t know alot about it so I would like to ask a few questions about the boat, probably somebody can help.
1. The watertanks hold about 300 l, we don´t have an electric pump, what do you do to empty it for the winter. And how do you use the valve connecting the two tanks, do you trim the boat with it?
2. Does anyone has an "instruction" for the boat from 1977?
3. The reling at the front is worn, the fittings are loose so someone would have to fix it? does anyone has experience with that?

I´m sure there will be more questions, but i would be very happy to hear from other Contest 34 owners about their expieriences with the boat, probably about modifications?

Thanks a lot !!!!

Offline Ewout

Re: Contest 34
« Reply #1 on: 01 August, 2012, 12:53:21 »
Hi dahabcon,

Congratulations at first! And welcome to this forum.

My C34 is provided with an electric pump.
-1-
As you described it, the two tanks are connected with a valve. I have a separate drainage (extra ball valve) that allows me to let the fresh water flow into my bilge. I suppose it is easier to use your bilgepump than stepping on the footpump. :-)

I am not using the valve to trim the boat with it. When the watertanks are full you simply have 300 Kg extra ballast.

-2-
On the cyoc website (http://en.cyoc.nl/) you will find a link (technical) and there you will see another link called "contest hints and tips"
I suppose you will find some answers there.

-3-
Haven't got any experience with that, sorry.
Mayby you could put some epoxy into the holes and screw it in again?

Feel free to ask.

Mayby you could attache some pictures?
Where is your boat located?

Best regards
Ewout
« Last Edit: 01 August, 2012, 16:50:02 by Ewout »

Offline dahabcon

« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2012, 21:02:24 »
Thank you for your Reply.
We are "stationed" in Kiel, Strande.
The idea with the bilge pump sounds good to me, we would just need to loosen the hose at the valve.
By the way, why are the water tanks as big as they are? isn´t it a lot of water, and do you always fill it up to the top?

I will try to find the page with the hint for contest yachts, thanks for the advice.

There is one other question: the floor board on the starboard side beside the table seem to be made to be moveable. there are rings attached to lift them up. But somehow we have the impression we pull and they are fixed. Is it the same at your boat?If so we will untighten the screws and have a look underneath.
And now I will try to attach a picture to the post, we will see if it works.

Have nice evening

Dahabcon

Offline Ewout

« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2012, 22:57:09 »
Thank you for your Reply.
We are "stationed" in Kiel, Strande.
The idea with the bilge pump sounds good to me, we would just need to loosen the hose at the valve.
By the way, why are the water tanks as big as they are? isn´t it a lot of water, and do you always fill it up to the top?

I will try to find the page with the hint for contest yachts, thanks for the advice.

There is one other question: the floor board on the starboard side beside the table seem to be made to be moveable. there are rings attached to lift them up. But somehow we have the impression we pull and they are fixed. Is it the same at your boat?If so we will untighten the screws and have a look underneath.
And now I will try to attach a picture to the post, we will see if it works.

Have nice evening

Dahabcon

Hi there,
Don't loosen the hose, you take the risk of to much water flowing into the bilge. It is easier to install a seperate valve, then it is controlable.

The huge tanks are build in all the C34. It is what it is, although it seems a lot it is also used for the shower. In our boat I also installed a boiler of 40 liters. Since we often sail with 5 persons it was the minimum in my opinion. I fill it to the top, after putting in some fluid to prevent bad water. I yearly clean the tank and hoses as much as I can. Don't know the name of the fluid now, sorry. Until now I haven't got any diaree or other illnesses.

The floorboard you mentioned is the same by me. Underneath that part is my showerpump installed and my fresh water pump with hydrofoor. It is not tightened up with screws, it just fits exactly. I have to use a screwdriver, put it into the rings and then pull with some force. If it is screwed at you boat you should see some holes our wooden props I suppose.

Saw your pictures, really nice.

Enjoy your evening as well. :-)

Ewout

Offline dahabcon

« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2012, 17:49:41 »
Hi Ewout!
Now another question turned up and i wonder if you could give us an hint:
at the prop shaft there is a hose from the shaft to a sea valve. Is that a water cooled shaft and does it have to be open while running the engine?
Thanks for your help and I hope the description is detailed enough, i dont have the english words for it.
Dahabcon

Offline Ewout

« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2012, 19:54:56 »
Hello again, :-)

It is a watercooled shaft. In my boat it is.
When the engine is running it is not necessary to open the valve.

The valve needs to be opened before you set the engine in gear. Forward or backwards.
Otherwise the shaft will become extremely hot, and you will have damage to shaft and tube.

Normally i open the valve when i come aboard. Just to be save!!

Where my previous answers satisfying?

Regards
Ewout
« Last Edit: 14 August, 2012, 19:57:54 by Ewout »

Offline dahabcon

« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2012, 22:17:28 »
Ups, haven't done that so far. But than again we havent been under way for a very long time. Dont know if we coud damage anything so far? From now on we will open it together with the seavalve for the engine-cooling. Thanks alot for your advice.
Thanks for your info on the watertank. We have had now a look under the floor, did not have to unscrew.
Have a nice evening!

Dahabcon

PS: where is your Contest located?

Offline Ewout

« Reply #7 on: 14 August, 2012, 22:26:47 »
Hi,

Our boat is located in zeeland.
We sail around on the oosterschelde, dutch and belgium coast.

Unfortunately we did not sail a lot this season, because of some health issues of my wife.

Enjoy your evening.

Ewout

Offline dahabcon

« Reply #8 on: 30 September, 2012, 20:58:25 »
Good evening,
did you end your sailing season yet? Hope your wife is better.

I have another Question, i hope i don´t get on your nerves asking again:-)
did you exchange your genua winches? We still have the original, and we would like to have selftailing one. Iv you have changed them, which size did you choose and do they work well? and by the way, do you have the hailyards changed so you can wind up the main from the cockpit? Thanks for your time!
We plan on doing that in the winter, so no need to hurry with your reply,
Have a nice evening
C. Onischke

Offline Ewout

« Reply #9 on: 01 October, 2012, 13:16:47 »
Hi there,

We indeed replaced the winches for new Lewmar ST44 winches. They work satisfying. My advice to you will be, choose the size of the winch always a size bigger then adviced. So you will be able to let your wife do the job :-)

I still have to go on deck to wind up our main sail. Never thought to change is. Yes it could be saver, but with the right safety adjustments (lifeline, more places to hold tight to) it is no problem at all. Nevertheless it might be interesting to learn from you how you. So keep me posted...!!

By the way, always nice to be of some help again.

Best Regards
Ewout

rgeensen

« Reply #10 on: 07 October, 2012, 22:22:21 »
Hi,
I own a contest 34 from 1977 too. All lines/ ropes at my ship end at the cockpit. Quite easy to install, however I don,t see a big advantage. I would prefer everything at the mast, but that is personal. So it is easily doable to re engineer all to the cockpit.
Congrats with the ship, I own it for 2 years now and love it.

BJSoft