Author Topic: Contest 31  (Read 2769 times)

Offline AndyT

Contest 31
« on: 09 August, 2012, 12:35:51 »
Hi Guys,

Just joined as I am looking at a Contest 31 this weekend with a view to buying. Are there any common problems to look out for with this model?

Also it looks to me like a strong seaworthy boat, but not particularly fast. I am looking for a boat suitable for long distance sailing wih a couple of people aboard and the 31 seems good for that. Am I right?

Many thanks
Andy

Offline BJ

• Global Moderator
    • BJSoft
Re: Contest 31
« Reply #1 on: 09 August, 2012, 13:09:21 »
Hi Andy, welcome on this forum. What model C31 are you looking for, the Uus van Essen desing or the later version designed by Dick Zaal?

Offline AndyT

« Reply #2 on: 09 August, 2012, 13:14:48 »
Many thanks for the welcome BJ. She's the older version (I think).

This one:
http://www.watersideboatsales.com/used-boats/boat-details.php?BoatID=3080526

They don't give the designer but she's not the 31HT version.

Offline BJ

• Global Moderator
    • BJSoft
« Reply #3 on: 09 August, 2012, 13:47:14 »
Nope, this is the good ol'  Uus van Essen design. Sturdy, quite heavy but very nice to sail when the winds are getting stronger. She's looking good, new steering column and new hatches but there's nothing on the age of the rigging and I would definitly inspect the engine. Nothing wrong with the MD2b until you get problems, spare parts are very costly.
But long distance sailing with a few people is very well possible with this model and it is a strong and seawothy boat.

Offline AndyT

« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2012, 13:50:54 »
Many thanks for the very informative response. The engine was rebuilt and is describes as very reliable. I do have a contact with Beta engines in the UK so I think a new 20HP may be fitted at some point if the engine proves to be unreliable.

I beleive the rigging is from 1998 and so is due for renewal.

I'll let you know how I get on :)

Offline BJ

• Global Moderator
    • BJSoft
« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2012, 14:09:21 »
Nice to see: a scan of the original folder   of the C31.

If you have the budget for a replacement Beta then I would go for that. Thet are much quiter, less heavy and they have intercooling giving the possibility for waterheater. Not really nessacery but nice to have  ;)   But the huge noise-reduction is a great advantage imo. I will send an email to a few owners that I know and ask them if they can give you some first hand stories.

Niels

« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2012, 15:23:08 »
Dear Andy,

I have send you a PM, I am a Contest 31 owner and hope that I can give ansers on your questions !

Greetings,

Niels

BJSoft

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal