Author Topic: Contest 29 Rudder  (Read 2149 times)

Whiskeycreek

Contest 29 Rudder
« on: 24 July, 2007, 19:25:12 »
I have acquired a 1965 contest 29 hull # 5  and have found that rhe rudder has broken of about 4 inches from the top. I want to make or buy a new rudder but can not find any technical information to make this possible is there anyone that has the rudder specifications or designs or anyone who knows where I might find this information? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline BJ

• Global Moderator
    • BJSoft
Re: Contest 29 Rudder
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2007, 11:58:16 »
Hull #5 ??? must be (one of) the oldest still sailing around...  ;D   About the rudder problem: I think that the easiest way is to duplicate the existing rudder and use it as a mold or something like that. Drawings and/or specs will be hard to get since all the old archives were lost during a great fire at Conyplex a few years ago.
I'd suggest that you measuure the current rudder, duplicate it in foam and cover it with several layers of roving and polyester. Finish it wtih an epoxy barriercoat and your done. I know.... it sounds more easy then it is but it can be done... ;)
BTW, can you upload a few pictures of this old lady??

maxbolweg

« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2007, 09:21:11 »
I believe there is in lelystad, The Netherlands, a company specialized in making new rudders. If you are interested I may ask my uncle who told me about this company. Max

Offline Contest 29 mk2

« Reply #3 on: 07 July, 2010, 14:55:36 »
The first 29's are built in 1964. Congrats with your early example!

The name of the company mentioned by Max is Modus Marine.

They make new rudders but can also do several repairs. A few Contest owners in Holland had also problems with the rudder and decided to have a new rudder made by this company.

For more information visit http://www.modusmarine.nl/ (unfortunately it is in Dutch)
Contest zeiler sinds 1989!

Offline BJ

• Global Moderator
    • BJSoft
« Reply #4 on: 07 July, 2010, 15:11:28 »
Eeeh.. de TS is drie jaar geleden begonnen en daarna nooit meer teruggekomen.. ;)

Offline Contest 29 mk2

« Reply #5 on: 07 July, 2010, 15:12:55 »
haha, ik had de datum niet gezien, kwam het topic tegen via de zoekfunctie...  ;D
Contest zeiler sinds 1989!

Offline pieter2

« Reply #6 on: 09 July, 2010, 01:31:05 »
Het blijft toch handig al deze informatie. Als het niet voor de Topicstarter is, dan wel voor andere lezers.
Contest 29

BJSoft