Author Topic: C46 rudder cracks  (Read 33 times)

Offline Will_M

C46 rudder cracks
« on: 20 May, 2020, 15:58:56 »
Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a 1995 Contest 46 in Florida. We hauled the boat out ~2 months ago for various below water line jobs, including a light sand and application of fresh ablative bottom paint. Upon returning to the boat after a month or so without seeing her, two vertical cracks have formed on the port side of the rudder approximately 15cm aft of the leading edge. I do not know how deep the cracks are without grinding, but they appear to be fairly shallow. It looks as though it is possibly a sheet of laminate that is wrapped around the front of the rudder to bond the two halves, but I'm no expert on construction.

The cracks were not evident during the survey or when the yard prepped the bottom for paint. They seem to have opened up spontaneously while sitting on the hard untouched. I don't have any evidence to believe that this was caused by damage from an object (like a car) striking it.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know anything about the rudder construction on C46s?

Thank you,
Will

Offline pieter2

Re: C46 rudder cracks
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2020, 22:06:59 »
Looks like something is 'leaking' out of the cracks? Maybe the cracks have been there before, but not noticed due to antifouling and now on the hard the cracks are transmitting liquid?
Check of there is a lot of fluid in the rudder (drill hole on bottem of the rudder to see if it starts leaking).
How does the other side of the rudder look like, any cracks as well?
Any movement in the cracks when you apply soem force to the rudder?
Contest 29

BJSoft

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal