Author Topic: 1969 29' Conyplex Keel Attachment  (Read 6124 times)

LATONA

1969 29' Conyplex Keel Attachment
« on: 20 October, 2006, 07:13:29 »
Sorry, I do not speak Dutch and have not posted here yet, so I hope this post gets to the right area!

I purchased a 29'Conyplex I am currently going through in hope of launching next May (lot's of work) and I would like to check the condition and torque of the Keel attach bolts. I have the salon floors removed and the center section is filled and smoothed with what appears to be epoxy. There are some sections which are raised with traces of rust. I figure they must be below this epoxy, but do not want to just start hacking away at the epoxy to find them.

I've contacted the Contest factory and supplied pictures of the keel (it has a bulb on the forward end) and due to a fire, there are not any materials available for their older boats. Does anyone have any drawings or resources they can point me to where I can identify the number of bolts, installation hardware, and nut torque?

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations.

Offline BJ

• Global Moderator
    • BJSoft
Re: 1969 29' Conyplex Keel Attachment
« Reply #1 on: 20 October, 2006, 16:05:58 »
No problem Latona, some people here speak English...  ;D  And congratulations with your C29, perhaps you can post some pictures of the old lady? You can contact Medemblik Yacht Service (http://www.mys.nl), it is my understanding that they still have some resources on the oldies. At least, that's what Conyplex told me when I had some questions on my 1970 C30...  ;)

LATONA

« Reply #2 on: 23 October, 2006, 19:48:50 »
No problem Latona, some people here speak English...? ;D? And congratulations with your C29, perhaps you can post some pictures of the old lady? You can contact Medemblik Yacht Service (http://www.mys.nl), it is my understanding that they still have some resources on the oldies. At least, that's what Conyplex told me when I had some questions on my 1970 C30...? ;)

Thanks for the info BJ, I e-mailed them this morning. I also have othger keel concerns, such as a gap running fore and aft in the middle of the lower keel surface. I probed it with a pencil and the widthe of this "gap" is not consistent in its width or depth.

I am not sure of the designer of this boat, but see Dick Zayle may be the designer and he has a web site - hopefully he has not had any fires!

Thanks for your assistance. I will be posting a lot of questions since I plan to restore her (LATONA) back to her original condition as much as I can. But, would like to know the keel is intact before I really put in alot of mork and any more major expenditures.

I'l try to post a picture; I'll have to translate the functions in Dutch first though.

Thanks Again

Tim in USA

Offline BJ

• Global Moderator
    • BJSoft
« Reply #3 on: 24 October, 2006, 11:32:55 »
Hi Tim,

the designer of the early model C29 is Gerard Luyten and not Dick Zaal. A brochure of the C29 can be found on http://www.joshua-contestyacht.nl/Contest_2029.pdf, just nice to have....  ;)  Maybe you can put some pictures on the net and post the url on this forum, especially the problems with the keel. That way we can have a look and maybe come to a simple solution.

BJ

LATONA

« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2006, 05:11:18 »
Hi Tim,

the designer of the early model C29 is Gerard Luyten and not Dick Zaal. A brochure of the C29 can be found on http://www.joshua-contestyacht.nl/Contest_2029.pdf, just nice to have....? ;)? Maybe you can put some pictures on the net and post the url on this forum, especially the problems with the keel. That way we can have a look and maybe come to a simple solution.

BJ

Thanks for the info BJ. I want to get a Storm Jib and that pamphlet helps quite a bit! I posted a picture of the boat and the keel suspect areas. I included pictures of the out side Keel areas and inside the bilge where I found some gaps where the flat lower surface meets the sides. I sounded the keel ad it is solid, so not sure what to make of the rest.
Any and all info appreciated!

Tim

LATONA

« Reply #5 on: 25 October, 2006, 05:12:44 »
Hi Tim,

the designer of the early model C29 is Gerard Luyten and not Dick Zaal. A brochure of the C29 can be found on http://www.joshua-contestyacht.nl/Contest_2029.pdf, just nice to have....? ;)? Maybe you can put some pictures on the net and post the url on this forum, especially the problems with the keel. That way we can have a look and maybe come to a simple solution.

BJ

I guess it would help to popst the URL to find the pictures!

http://photos.yahoo.com/lr35a122

Thanks for the info BJ. I want to get a Storm Jib and that pamphlet helps quite a bit! I posted a picture of the boat and the keel suspect areas. I included pictures of the out side Keel areas and inside the bilge where I found some gaps where the flat lower surface meets the sides. I sounded the keel ad it is solid, so not sure what to make of the rest.
Any and all info appreciated!

Tim

Offline Ewout

« Reply #6 on: 25 October, 2006, 11:00:35 »
Hi Tim,

I sail a contest 34 1979, bought at the end of 2005.
After buying we did some refit on the boat. My keel had quite a big crack on the bottom.
We had that fixed by scraping the polyester and fill it out with epoxy. After drying the keel of course.
It had no effect whatsoever on the construction of the keel to the hull.

In my case we also had some problems with the rudder. On the front side of the rudder there was a big crack as well. It went from top to bottom.
Conyplex told me that was something that they were farmiliair with. In that time Conyplex had some difficulties making the rudders and in the process of building the rudder very small cracks did appear. However this will not have any effect on the strenght of the rudder.
I thought you should know.

Regards
Ewout

LATONA

« Reply #7 on: 26 October, 2006, 05:50:05 »
Thanks for the info, makes me feel better on the gap on the bottom of the keel. I've been trying to locate some Drawings/Specifications on it sine the gap runs the entire length of the Center Line of the Keel - looks like it may have been assembled in two pieces...

But the gaps in the bilge where the lower and sides meet is a might disconcerting. So I figure the best thing to do at this point is to uncover the Keel Attach Bolts and check for any enlongation, condition of the bolts/studs, etc. and replace/retorque them as required.

I appreciate your information!

Tim

Offline BJ

• Global Moderator
    • BJSoft
« Reply #8 on: 26 October, 2006, 10:36:58 »
Hi tim,

before you start with the uncovering of the bolts, which will be a lot of work, it may be usefull to inspect the hull on both the outside an the the inside on the heigth of the inside gap. If there is no damage on the hull you can, imho, simply fillup the gap with epoxy. Inspect this part from time to time during sailing and if the gap reappears then it is time to do something about it.

BJ

LATONA

« Reply #9 on: 07 November, 2006, 07:06:21 »
Hi tim,

before you start with the uncovering of the bolts, which will be a lot of work, it may be usefull to inspect the hull on both the outside an the the inside on the heigth of the inside gap. If there is no damage on the hull you can, imho, simply fillup the gap with epoxy. Inspect this part from time to time during sailing and if the gap reappears then it is time to do something about it.

BJ

Hi BJ,

Thanks for the info. I have inspected the external hull/keel attach area closely and all seems to be fine. There is a slight trace in the paint you can see where it looks like the keel  is faired into the hull.  I have removed the floor boards and plan to do some restoration work. I'm not sure what you mean by "inspect the hull... the inside on the height of the inside gap." Could you clarify?

One thing puzzles me about the Conyplex boats of this year, mine is considered a 29' and I understand they also made a 30' in '69. Do you know the difference in the two? As I remember, the '29' is actually 29'8". Seems most manufactuerers would round this figure and call it a 30'.

I appericiate your help!

Tim

Offline BJ

• Global Moderator
    • BJSoft
« Reply #10 on: 07 November, 2006, 10:20:49 »
What I ment was that you also inspect the hull from the inside, under the floorboards, if there are any cracks visible.

About the difference between the C29 and the C30: if I am correct the C29 has two straight couches on each side of the saloon while the C30 has an L-shaped couch on portside and a straight couch on startbordside. Another difference, which I'm sure off, is the fact that the C30 has a hatch on the reardeck while the C29 only has a dorade ventilator. However this might have been modified by a previous owner.

BJ

trisana

« Reply #11 on: 01 February, 2007, 01:02:16 »
Hi Tim,

I?ve seen the pictures of Latona and effectively, she?s a Contest 29.  If you want you can compare with some pictures of a 1969 Contest 30 in www.trisana.moonfruit.com.

About the keel I found no cracks in Trisana except for the mast deck basis, wich seems to be not an important problem.

Ramon Guinjoan

BJSoft